This is How to get or withdraw money from a deceased parent or dead person’s bank account or mobile money account. A step-by-step process and guide. When someone dies, there is a need to withdraw money from a dead person’s or deceased bank or mobile account.
This problem is a common issue to resolve as people have shifted towards a more digitalized way of life. Many people in Africa (e.g., in Cameroon, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, Uganda, Tanzania, South Africa, etc.) face this challenge.
Also, people in India, the Philippines, Indonesia, Pakistan, the US, and Europe face this same dilemma of wanting to get or withdraw money from a bank account or mobile money account of their closest relative who has died.
Withdrawing Money From Deceased Bank or Mobile Accounts: The Dilemma
It is always a sad moment whenever someone loses a friend, parent, or close relative, and the circumstances that follow the loss are usually a challenge to those that rely heavily on the deceased.
However, suppose the person in question was a breadwinner to a family or a regular provider via a bank or mobile money. In that case, it is possible to access the funds of their mobile wallet.
This is How To Withdraw Money From Deceased Mobile Money Accounts
The various mobile money service providers (e.g., Mtn and Orange Networks in Cameroon) have steps to follow when retrieving this money from the dead person’s account. This process is essentially the same in most countries around the world.
The procedure to follow to retrieve the money is close to the same as enumerated below:
1. Prove that you are the next of kin or benefactor of the deceased by processing the relevant
2. Contact the hospital and local authorities or the police for a valid death certificate,
3. Also, obtain a letter of administration confirming you as the go-to person on matters of the deceased.
4. Possess a valid national ID or passport to identify you as a family member or relation to the
5.Go to the nearest licensed Mobile Money service center and present the documents mentioned
6. All the money in the electronic wallet or mobile money account of the deceased will be withdrawn and
given to you by an authorized mobile money agent.
Note: It is impossible to claim or withdraw money that did not exist in a mobile wallet. Hence, it would be
best if you were sure that the deceased person has a balance in their account at the time of death.
How To Withdraw Money From Bank Accounts Of Deceased or DeathPersons
Most banks in Cameroon, Nigeria, India, the US, Europe, and worldwide have steps to follow when
retrieving money from the dead person’s account.
The procedure to follow to retrieve the money is as follows:-
1. Provide relevant administrative documents to prove that you are the next of kin or benefactor of the
2. Contact the hospital/local authorities or the police for a valid death certificate,
3. Next, obtain a letter of administration confirming you as the go-to person on matters of the deceased.
4. Possess a valid passport or National ID to identify you as a family member or relation to the
5. Go to the nearest bank in question and present the documents as mentioned above.
6. The provided documents are going to be processed.
7. If all documents are genuine, all the money in the deceased’s bank account will be withdrawn and
given to you by an authorized bank agent.
Note: You can not claim money that did not exist in a bank account. So, it would help if you were sure the
a dead person in question had a balance in his or her bank account at the time of death.