However, you may not realize that deactivating your Facebook account does not deactivate Facebook Messenger. People can still see you and can try to contact you. With that in mind, here is how to disable Facebook Messenger.
Before you can deactivate Facebook Messenger, you must deactivate your Facebook account. Previously we explained how to deactivate your Facebook account. If you have not already done so, you must go and do it before continuing.
How to deactivate (or delete) your Facebook account
Remember that turning off Facebook and removing Facebook means different things for your privacy. If you would like more information, read the linked article before continuing. Also, remember that you can still appear offline in Facebook chat without taking the drastic step of deactivating your Facebook account.
Once you are ready to move forward, follow the simple step-by-step instructions below.
1. Open the Messenger application
2. Touch your profile picture in the upper left corner.
3. Scroll down and select Legal and Policies.
4. On the next screen, choose Disable Messenger.
5.Enter your password
6. Touch Continue.
7. To reactivate Facebook Messenger, just log back into the Messenger application with your username and password.